Sunday, April 4, 2010

Papua New Guinea

I recently spent a week in Alotau, Papua New Guinea, photographing the work of The Fred Hollows Foundation NZ.

ImageMe is an official partner of the Foundation, and I jumped at the chance to photograph their PNG programme.

The Foundation was holding an outreach clinic in Alotau, and Papua New Guineans travelled from remote areas throughout the Milne Bay region to get help for their eye problems. For many, cataracts were removed, allowing them to regain their sight, and improve their lives and their family's lives.

As part of the work I photographed several sugeries - a new experience for me!

It was so moving to meet some of these people, to hear their personal stories, and to photograph the moment when the bandage was removed and their joy erupted.

The photos I took will be used to show Kiwis the amazing work the Foundation does, to help in their appeals. It really is a thrill to use my photographic skills to make a real difference.

The photos I took for the Foundation are under wraps for now, but here are a few snapshots of me in PNG.

Here I am with PNG eye nurses Getruth, Rosemary and Kesley. They were an absolute pleasure to work with!

This is me with one of the patients whose story we documented.

No comments: